I’m not a fan of coconut, I actually don’t like anything coconut flavored, scented, decorated, sprinkled etc. You could say I’m not into the exotic. So naturally, when hearing all the raves on the internet about the benefits of coconut oil, and reading on every other blog all the praise that ladies had for coconut oil, and how it was good for this and that, I was reluctant to believe all the stuff. I considered it hype, just a passing fad in the world of health and nutrition.
But, almost without realizing I got around to using coconut oil, researching about the benefits and becoming an enthusiastic promoter of coconut oil myself! The best thing about coconut oil is that it doesn’t have the coconut scent! (Note, you can buy oil that does have the scent, but most are unscented). The uses and benefits are truly amazing!
Here’s my summarized “fast food” style list as usual:
- Great for cooking!
- Easy to digest
- Helps in weight loss by increasing metabolism and reducing stress on pancreas
- Useful for improving digestive system- assists in absorbing vitamins, minerals, amino acids
- Heals bruises and skin infections because it’s anti-fungal, anti-bacterial
- Kills a variety of “bad guys”: influenza, measles, hepatitis, herpes, throat infections, urinary tract infections, pneumonia
- Diabetes remedy: controls blood sugar, improves insulin secretion
- Great for the brain- may have a role in treating Alzheimers
- Protects teeth from tooth decay by killing S. mutans, bacteria that causes tooth decay
- Helps against liver and kidney ailments
- When ingested, gives energy boost, brain boost
- Treats pink eye
- Treats Asthma
Cosmetics and Beauty
- Whip up coconut oil to make it into a smooth and creamy lotion- add essential oils!
- Keeps skin young and healthy- postpones sagging and wrinkly skin
- Treats skin problems like eczema
- Is antioxidant, and thus is a great skin protector and has moisturizing qualities
- Helps hair growth/treat hair loss by providing nutrition/protein for the hair, protects against hair damage
- Treats dandruff, lice
- Acts like a hair conditioner
- Calms frizzy hair
- Heals skin stretch marks
- Whitens teeth
- Great sunscreen
- Useful as chapstick
- Reduces varicous veins
- Great as make-up remover
So, so many more uses and benefits! You can find a big batch of coconut oil for a good price at Costco!