The Reformers wanted the Sola’s
to be applied to your Christian life
Sola Scriptura– But Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.
- We live in an age of knowledge- we have information at our fingertips. It’s important to supplement our spiritual nourishment with sound theological commentaries and books, but our ultimate food source is Scripture. The only way to gain true wisdom is rooting yourself in the Word, reading it daily, book by book in a logical consistent manner. Luther said “We need to hear the Gospel daily because we forget it daily”.
- Also, test everything by the Scripture (in context). Any doctrine, idea, person or ministry that goes contrary to the teaching of the Word you must reject. Cults and sects that add extra teaching along the Bible (like Charismatics, Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons etc) are dangerous and unbiblical.
Sola Fide- …Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:1-2)
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you unblemished in His glorious presence, with great joy… Jude 1:24
- Christ is the founder of our faith. He provides for us the faith, and He keeps us in faith till the end.
- How do we grow in faith? How do we keep from stumbling? By constantly depending on Christ for every step in our lives. Look unto Jesus. Pray throughout your day before you do any activity, and you will see how He guides and answers prayers. The righteous shall live by faith (Romans 1:17).
Sola Gratia- being (justified) declared righteous freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Romans 3:24).
Luther said: “I must listen to the Gospel. It tells me not what I must do, but what Jesus Christ the Son of God, has done for me.”
- By grace we are given Christ’s righteousness credited in our account. What a treasure!
- We are strengthened by grace (2 Timothy 2:1)
- We do not live under the law, but under grace (Romans 6:14)
- Our good works are a result of grace working in us, we do not produce good works to ensure salvation (1 Cor 15:10)
- God makes grace abound to us every day! Tap into that grace by keeping a clear connection between you and the Lord (2 Corinthians 9:8)
- God gives more grace to the humble (James 4:6)
Solus Christus– God’s secret plan now at last made known, is Christ Himself, In Him lie hidden all the mighty untapped treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Colossians 2:2-3).
- Christ is the source, the reason, and the sustainer of ALL created things! He is the epitome of the Gospel.
- Because of Christ we have access to God the Father.
- He is the Head of the Church, the Shepherd and our Lord.
- If you want fullness of life, wisdom, knowledge, and direction- fellowship with Christ daily!
Soli Deo Gloria- to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all time, and now, and for all eternity. (Jude 1:24)
- For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. (Romans 11:36)
- So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Cor 10:31)
- To whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory (Col 1:25).